DOTT. CORRADO CESARE CAMPISI
- 1997 – 2002. Istituto Vittorino da Feltre in Genoa, Italy
High School Diploma in Humanities (100/100) with a dissertation presented for the degree examination entitled “Tensions between Rationality and Irrationality”.
- 2002 – 2008. Medical School, University Campus Bio-Medico of Rome/University of Genoa, Italy
University Degree in Medicine and Surgery (110/110, cum laude and Medal of the University of Genoa) with a dissertation entitled “Surgery and Translational Lymphology: Educational-training Models, Research and Clinical Applications”. State Examination (270/270), passed in February 2009 (Second Session of Year 2008/2009).
- October 2008 – October 2014. University of Pavia, Italy.
Ph.D. in Experimental Surgery and Microsurgery. Final dissertation entitled “The Role of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery in the Treatment of Lymphatic Diseases: from Research to Modern Clinical Applications”. Ph.D. finishing date: October 2014.
- June 2009 – June 2014. Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, University of Genoa Medical School, Department of Surgery (DISC), IRCCS University Hospital San Martino – IST National Institute for Cancer Research, Unit of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Genoa, Italy
Specialization in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (50/50, 30th June 2014) with a dissertation entitled “Lymphatic Microsurgery Today for the Treatment of Peripheral Lymphedemas: from Research to Clinical Applications”.
- October 2007 – Admitted to the Mayo Medical School Clerkship Program in Vascular Surgery, run by the Mayo Clinic in Rochester (Minnesota, USA), at the Vascular Surgery Division (Gonda Vascular Center), directed by Prof. Peter Gloviczki.
- December 2009 – Specialization Course in Surgery of Lymphatic Diseases and Microsurgery with dissertation entitled Translational Lymphology: from Bench to Bedside and from Bedside to Bench, obtaining maximum score cum laude.
- December 2009 – Executive Master in Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Administration completed in at the LUISS Business School (Rome, Italy). Dissertation entitled “Guidelines in the Age of Efficacy-Based Health Care: Strategies for the Implementation of Antibiotic and Antithrombotic Therapy in Surgical Patients, from Recommendations to Shared Health Care Policies.”
- October 2011 – 2nd Edition (2011-2013) of the Master in Reconstructive Microsurgery, organized by the Reconstructive Microsurgery European School. This Masters focuses on Head and Neck Microsurgical Reconstruction, Breast Microsurgical Reconstruction, Limb Microsurgical Reconstruction and Supramicrosurgery. Master finishing date: March 8, 2014.
- April 2013 – June 2013. International Fellow at Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Pius Branzeu Center for Laparoscopic Surgery and Microsurgery, Timisoara, Romania, under Prof. Mihai Ionac and Prof. Lucian Jiga, performing advanced microsurgical clinical and experimental plastic surgery training, and developing a new model dedicated to lymphatic microsurgical training in living tissue.
- May 2013 – Visiting Professor at the Breast Surgery Division/Plastic Surgery Division at Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital lecturing the nuclear medicine physicians about optimizing the technique of lymphoscintigraphy for upper extremity evaluation and teaching intra-operatively the Ly.M.P.H.A. procedure for primary prevention of lymphatic injuries following breast cancer treatment.
- November 2013 – Faculty member, lecturer and instructor at the 2nd Perforator Flap Harvesting Seminar in Living Tissue at Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Pius Branzeu Center for Laparoscopic Surgery and Microsurgery, Timisoara, Romania, under Prof. Mihai Ionac and Prof. Lucian Jiga. During the seminar he gave the lecture “lymphatic microsurgery today to treat peripheral lymphedema: tips and tricks”. Before the Seminar, he was invited to perform a live surgery session operating two patients, one affected by secondary lymphedema following breast cancer treatment, the other affected by secondary lymphedema following melanoma treatment.
- February 2014 – Clinical full immersion period (Master in Reconstructive Microsurgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery European School), Hospital Sant Pau and Santa Creu, Barcelona, Spain, February 11-20, 2014. Invited lecturer at Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain, February 21, 2014 (Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Unit, Prof. Cesar Casado and Dr. Cesar Casado). He performed a live surgery session operating a patient affected by secondary lymphedema following vulvar cancer treatment.
- March 8, 2014 – Final exam – Master in Reconstructive Microsurgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery European School (Barcelona, Spain, March 8, 2014).
- May 18-22, 2014 – Weyergans International Training Seminar (Dueren, Germany, May 18-22, 2014).
- October 6-7, 2014 – eliteLASER – Advanced Aesthetic Medicine in Madrid, Dr. Pablo Naranjo.
- October 24-25, 2014 – Faculty Member during the event “Advances in Vascularized Lymph Node Transfer: A Clinical Symposium and Cadaver Dissection Course” (University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, October 24-25, 2014), performing and teaching dissection advanced techniques as well as presenting the paper MLVAs and CLyFT protocol: indications, treatment, long-term clinical outcomes and possible new perspectives”.
Honors and Awards
Since 2005: I have been an active member of the International Society of Lymphology (ISL).
- 22nd International Congress of Lymphology (September 21-25 2009, Sydney, Australia), appointed European coordinator of Young Lymphologists and given the Presidential Award for research on Obesity and Lymphedema: a System of Treatment.
- 23rd International Congress of Lymphology, 2011, September 19-23, Malmo, Sweden, elected Auditor.
- 24th International Congress of Lymphology, 2013, September 16-20, Rome, Italy, elected member of the Executive Committee of the International Society of Lymphology (ISL).
Since June 2009: Member of the European Society of Lymphology (ESL).
- Best paper award for the issue Obesity and Lymphoedema: a System of Treatment, printed in the European Journal of Lymphology and Related Problems. 35th ESL Congress (Paris, France, 26-27 June 2009).
- Best paper award for the issue of Lymphatic Microsurgery for Primary Prevention of Secondary Lymphedema After Breast Cancer Surgery: a Model of Translational Lymphology. 36th ESL Congress (Athens, Greece, May 14-16, 2010).
- ISEM’s Certificate for Young Researcher’s Outstanding Contribution to Experimental Microsurgery. 11th ISEM Congress (Timisoara, Romania, July 12-14, 2012).
- Robert Zwong Award for the paper “Mastering Lymphatic Microsurgery: a New Training Model in Living Tissue”. 12th ISEM Congress (Kyoto, Japan, April 11-13, 2014).
2014 Robert Zwong Award Winner
12th ISEM Congress (International Society for Experimental Microsurgery), Kyoto, Japan, April 11-13, 2014, presenting the paper “Mastering lymphatic microsurgery: a new training model in living tissue” (YIA Session – Young Investigator Award, Robert Zwong Award).
2014 Pascone Memorial Prize Winner
63rd Congress of the Italian Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (SICPRE, Bergamo, Italy, October 15, 2014), presenting the paper “Fibro-Lipo-Lympho-Aspiration (FLLA): a lymph vessel sparing procedure (LVSP) for treatment of advanced lymphedema”.
Additional Memberships and Titles.
- Italian Society of Microsurgery (“Società Italiana di Microchirurgia”, SIM).
- Resident Member of American College of Surgeons (RAS-ACS).
- International Society for Experimental Microsurgery (ISEM).
- Honorary member of the Asociación Médica Argentina (Argentinian Medical Association).
- Elected as Foreigner Professor of the Argentinian Medical Association (“Profesor Extranjero de la Escuela de Graduados”).
- Italian and International LUISS Health Network.
- European Plastic Surgery Research Council (EPSRC).
- International Sentinel Lymph Node Working Group (SLNWG).
- Associate Editor of OA Plastic Surgery Journal.
- ISL Executive Committee Member (since September 2013)
- ISEM Councilor (since April 2014)
Foreign Language Skills
From 13 to 18 years of age, I regularly attended the activities organized by the “Le Rosey” Institute in Rolle/Geneva/Gstaad (Switzerland), where I completed courses in English, French, and Spanish.
I regularly attend the various activities linked to the institutional goals of the Italian Red Cross, participation in several Workshops on International Humanitarian Law.
Since 27/06/2002 – Rotaract Club of Genoa North-North West.
In April 2007 I was elected Vice President of the Rotaract Club of Genoa North-North West and was appointed a member of the Rotaractian District Medical Committee (District 2030). I was the President of the Rotaractian District Medical Committee for the period June 2011 – June 2012 and President of Rotaract Club, North-North West Genoa during the period June 2010 – June 2011.
Past-President of Circolo Giovani Scienze Biomediche (Youth Club for Biomedical Sciences), a Rome-based cultural association founded in March 2003, whose members are medical and bio-engineering students. This Club is committed to the organization and promotion of conferences and cultural events aimed at spreading scientific culture and acquiring a deeper understanding of medical and bio-engineering issues.